Friday, February 23, 2007

And You Give Yourself Away...

As promised, I told you I'd come through with some "nugget of joy"-- and thanks to Natalia, I have one. The song on one of her posts the other day was, "With or Without You", by U2. Talk about memories flooding back, they all came back, and slapped me in the face.

The year was 1992. The day, August 6th. Greg was home. Who might Greg be? Greg was the first man I ever loved. We had known each other for years, his family and my family were really close. Hell, I called him "brother" for years, although we were of no relation. His mother, and my grandmother died on the same day in 1990. We'd been through good times together, and bad times together. He was always there for me, and loved me, no matter what. On August 6th of 1992, everything we had known would complete change.

On that faithful day, we went from just being "friends" to being much more. No, we didn't cross the line entirely, but far enough to be able to never go back. I was completely intoxicated by him. He was the focus of my world. I had NEVER had feelings like that for anyone, and at 13 years of age, I really didn't know what to do with them.

For years, off and on, we continued our intimate relationship, all the while in "secret". As, we all know what happens when you're underage and involved with someone over the age of 18. Our "relationship", for lack of a better term, continued for years. When I was 18, he was married, and came home for a visit without his wife. That was a mistake. I felt absolutely no remorse for what I had done. He was MINE, it was her that was in the wrong for taking him away from me years before.

How young and naive I was. I struggled for years because of the decision we made one faithful night. I paid dearly for it, mentally and emotionally. I've never know passion and desire as strong with anyone, like I did with Greg. Maybe it was the situation we were in-- knowing if we were caught, what would happen. Maybe it was that knowing what we were doing was wrong, or "forbidden" that made the passion so strong. Or maybe it was just the fact that I truly loved him with my whole heart-- that he was the one person in this world who really "got me". Greg knew everything about me, and loved me. Hell, he caught me looking at Playboy magazines in his bedroom when I was like 8 years old. I didn't really know what they were, but I knew I shouldn't be looking at them. He didn't rat me out. You know, he knew those kinda things about me.

We haven't really spoken in years. It was too painful for a long time. I felt guilt, and shame. I felt used, and abused. I felt as if I were damaged, and he was the cause. Looking back, we both knew better. I was old enough to know better, but too young to care. That's my damage. Fifteen years later, things are so much more clear.

Everytime I hear, "With or Without You" by U2, or "Father Figure" by George Michael, I think about Greg. I remember every night we spent together. I remember the passion in his kiss, and the anger in his eyes when we would fight. I remember everything. Looking back, it's those things that have shaped me, that have made me who I am today. Had these things never taken place, I wouldn't be where I am today.

If I had it all to do over again, would I change anything? No. Not now. Now that I see a little more clearly, it was worth it all. The passion, the tears, the regret, the anger, the joy-- it was worth every moment.

9 comments:

Meow Meow said...

The *LOVE* you feel for a first love is like no other. I don't think I could ever feel that much for another man. YEs, I have loved again, but they simply can't compare.

I understand your decision, and your twisting mentally afterwards.

May we all have love that brightens our day, fills our heart and melts our mouth as to not have to utter a word to know they are truly loved.

Ladiebug said...

I undertsand the whole first love thing...I still think about my first love and compare. That's why for so long after my first love relationships didnt work for me because I thought I had to have that passion. But I had built up a wall because my firts love lasted 6 years off and on (due to college) and finally ended with him cheating...who knows how many times since he lied so much.
I believe our hearts are so innnocent then that we give our all and trust with our whole hearts...that's why that passion can exist. I think what happens with your first love is what sets the tone for the rest of your life.....

Mississippi Songbird said...

Memories are precious...
**hugs***

Natalia said...

I feel you :) Really. I have such memories.

-N

JMai said...

Those intense relationships are something we can never forget... and the remembering is often a very good thing, for any number of reasons. Thanks for telling that story.

Catch said...

I knew a passion like that...you never forget it. And thats all Im going to say...;))

BarnGoddess_01 said...

I remember my first love like it was yesterday. great memories!

funny how at the time the whole thing was like an emotional and physical rollercoaster but when we look back, we think, wow those were some good times...

Anonymous said...

((((Christy))))

I'm glad that you can look back now and understand and accept all the memories.

Riccie said...

(((Christy)))
The intense, overwhelming feelings for a first love are never forgotten. Nor are they ever felt again...somehow we shut off that completely naive and trusting part of ourselves, not willing to risk being so hurt again. Mature love certainly comes with the intense rush and tingly happy feelings of a first love...but it's just never the same. And you know, I think that may be a good thing...