Friday, September 08, 2006

My Thursday Afternoon...

I think this pretty much says it all. At 3pm on thursday, we went to a "Community Support Rally and Dinner" for the United Steelworkers (NFS Strikers) or Erwin.


Thanks to the people and vendors of the Tri-Cities, we were able to have a really nice cookout.


As you can see, there were quite a few people who showed up to show their support, not to mention eat *L*

I decided, I couldn't miss this opportunity. The cars you see here, are the people who are crossing the picket line daily to work. Most are non-union, salaried employees- however, there are some scabs as well. I don't know which are which, don't really care- I just wanted to exploit them on the internet. It's because they won't stand united, that EVERYONE can't return to work.

A few words were spoken by Roger Birchfield, the Local United Steelworkers President.

There were petitions to sign, protesting against the employment of unqualified persons producing nuclear products. Something that is VERY important for this area. Although what my husband did at NFS is classified (so technically, I have no clue), I know that if one move is made wrong, upper East Tennessee will not be here. We wouldn't even hear the gun fire.

Of course, my happy self was right up there, signing away. I'm such a camera hog.

Dry Creek Medical Center had a booth as well. I'm so thankful to them for all they've done for us. They provided me with my medicine and health care for less than $25.00. They've been really good to all of the employees and their families during this difficult time. We are eternally grateful to them for all they've done.

This is me with Rick Trent. He's a democratic candidate for Congress. He came to show his support for the Union and it's employees. As you know, I love Democrats, and anyone who's going to help support us is tops to me!

I spoke as well, but I didn't feel the need to post that picture since I began to cry speaking. Everyone was talking about how thankful they were to the community- and we are, I am very thankful for all they've done. I just wanted it to be known, that WE needed to do more to keep the strike in the media. We need to be IN THEIR FACES. People don't need to forget that we're suffering. We're not the only one's suffering, soon, the United States Navy will suffer, when they aren't able to get their fuel. Without that fuel, there will be no protection on our waters. There will be no protection anywhere but land. I don't know if people don't realize that, or if they're just choosing to look the other way- but it's here, and it's real. It's time for a fair contract. It's time this strike ended.

13 comments:

CindyCinlou said...

That is great! I wish I was there! We are all about unions in my family!

BarnGoddess_01 said...

Thnx for posting about this. I had NO idea it was even happening. I hope your strike is resolved soon! stay strong.

Anonymous said...

I don't think folks realize just how dependent we all are on each other. Thank you for highlighting the connections between the strike and what those workers produce and how it contributes to the safety of all of us, as well as pointing out the connections of those in the community supoorting you. My prayers that this situation be fairly and speedily resolved are coming your way!

Carrie said...

I'm with barngoddess, I had no idea this was even going on. I am from a family of coal miners and if there is one thing I understand, it's a strike. It's hard on everyone and not just the people that work there.

Thank you for posting this and for bringing awareness. Stay strong and know that you've got support from me, too!

RedNeckGirl said...

It's great that ya'll are involving politicians and raising awareness.....keep up the good work. Round here we DO NOT cross a picket line....those who do should be ashamed....the only way to get results is to stand together. I am office Manager of UNITEHERE! Local 181.....Union Loud and Proud....GO GIRL!!!!

Deb said...

I worked in the union for quite a few years, and it was amazing how many scabs would cross that picket line. You couldn't pay me enough to walk across that line, knowing that other people are suffering and waiting to get back to work. I had no idea this was going on. I'm clueless lately, forgive me.

Keep on keeping on! Hope the strike ends soon! Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I didnt realize your husband was a steel worker. My biological father is a retired steelworker. I hope that this soon is resolved and things get back to the way they should be. I will keep yall in my thoughts and prayers

Greta Adams said...

Great post....

Bare said...

Thanks all for the support *hugs* It really means a lot. Chris works for Nuclear Fuel Services of Erwin, Tennessee. They're not actually steelworkers, but for some reason that's the union they are apart of- which is cool with me, because they're a great group of people. They've been on strike since May 15th of this year, because the damn company is so greedy that they can give their salaried employees a 6% raise, but can't give their hourly employees a decent health care plan and let them keep their penisons.

NFS makes fuel for the Navy. They are the only, and largest supplier of fuel for the Navy in the United States. Right now, the Navy isn't getting their fuel, and I'm sure they're pissed- so hopefully it's only a matter of time until all of this is over with.

Thanks again, all for your support *hugs*

Melinda said...

I'm with everyone that has posted. I also had no idea this was going on. I hope everything works out. Keep up the good work. Something good always comes from good work. good luck.

Turtle Guy said...

Hey! Thanks for dropping in on my blog... and wow... adding me to your blog roll!! An excellent event by all accounts, I see!

Looking forward to more words from the South very soon!

X said...

It's great to see you stand up and support something you believe in. Grat pictures of you btw! :) Have an awesome weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the one to disagree with all this. I can certainly respect your opinion on the subject and supporting your husband and his co-workers. The point of a strike is to demonstrate to the company just how valuable the employees are, if the employees are on strike on the company can't function properly that shows they are worth what they are asking for, if the employees are on the strike and the company can hire new people and still produce, then the unionized employees are not worth what they are asking for. I think it is wrong to harrass the people who have crossed the picket line, since you aren't in their shoes and don't have to support their families, they are simply doing what they have to do. It is wrong to harrass the new hires, since they are only doing a job and they feel the pay/benefits are adequate for the work. The salaried employees who are peforming the jobs the hourly employees used to perform are simply doing their jobs and have no affiliation with the union in the first place. The guards are also just doing their job, they have lives and families to support just like anyone else. Bottom line is it is not right to tell someone how to run their life and what a fair wage for them is, if you don't feel you're getting fair treatment, there's always the option of finding a new job.

Anyway, best of luck to you, your husband, and his co-workers.