Monday, September 18, 2006

I'm Insane...

Not to mention, still sore from saturday's sunburn. I'm going to catch hell when I go to work. Since I have to get up at 5am to go to work, I tend to go, "a la natural". Yep, I go to work with absolutely no makeup on. It's really funny, the first day of training, we all came to work looking so nice. All of the women had makeup on, our hair was fixed perfectly, we had on suits- you get the point. When they told us we could wear shorts, denim, ect- that it would be a casual work environment, EVERYTHING changed. We all came to work the next day in shorts, jumpsuits, jeans, and NO MAKEUP. I mean, having to get up that early does a number on you, especially when you aren't used to it. On any given typical day, at 5am, I would've typically been asleep for about 2 hours at the most, sometimes only an hour. Now, my happy self is going to bed at 9pm, and talk about someone who is ticked off if I don't make it to bed then. It's killing me. I SWORE I'd never get up that early again (after high school). Oh well, I've blown that one all to hell.

As for work. Things are going a little better, but extremely confusing. Let me explain. There are no, "black or white answers, everything is in the "gray area". Ok. It explains a lot. The REALLY intelligent (and I'm using that term sarcastically) HR woman I got really re-affirmed that for me. I can see why people will be calling us, cussing us out. I was ready to cuss out the HR lady because I just wanted a straight up answer. Here, we're probably not going to give you one. There are MANY different answers for any given problem.

We're going to be spending 7 weeks in training. 5 weeks in classroom, 4 weeks in lab. Apparently, that's only touching the surface. From what our trainer said, it will take us at least 6 months to feel remotely comfortable with what we're doing. In the meantime, we'll be confusing everyone who calls in.

Our system that we're training on SUCKS!!! I sincerely hope that when we get out on the floor, that it won't be half as confusing. Take for example an "exercise" we had on friday. She gave us a plan, and a list of specific things to find about said plan. Of course, we got the hardest plan- the "Fair and Flexible", not "Fair and Flexible America". The information we were able to find, wasn't even remotely what we needed to answer the questions- thus comes the gray area. I got so frustrated!

I really like my trainer, and co-workers, we're having a good time, I'm just so bogged down with so much information. There's no way we're going to be able to retain a 1/4 of what we're learning, and even if we do, we probably won't know when to use it *L*. I now completely understand why I'm making such good money, because I'm going to put up with more than I've ever bargained for!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well - now I know its not just me. I always feel when I talk to my phone provider that I am more confused when I finish than when I start! SURVIVE!

RedNeckGirl said...

I hate when employers try to cram so much info into you at once. I hate getting up early too!

Deb said...

And I am SURE you look fabulous without any make up on. But I have to agree with dr kate---I used to work for the phone company and EVERY ANSWER was a gray one! That's frustrating. No straight answers. With anything that is so 'in between', it can really aggravate you!

BarnGoddess_01 said...

starting a new job always sucks, even if ya end up LOVING it.

Geesh, 5 am is early, even for THIS early bird..

Have a good week!

Natalia said...

New jobs are always awkward. There's the whole getting used to the new rules and the new people and not to mention trying to decode the office politics. I mean, that in itself can be crazy.

Also, I wanted to mention that I don't do make-up/hair for work. We don't have a policy of sorts. It's an artsy university...anything goes. But lately I have been thinking about doing the whole make-up thing as an experiment. I want to see if students' perceptions of me change if I look more attractive. There was a really pretty prof. and she could do no wrong in the eyes of the students.

Something to think about.

-N

Cinderella said...

5 am??? I think I would die!! It up at 6:30 every morning and that kills me...

I am sure if we were all given the choice to wear jeans and so on to work we would do it and the women would do it make-upless as well, unless they are skeery looking without it..=)

Cinderella said...

That was supposed to read.. *I get up* geeze, could I get ONE DAY WITHOUT A TYPO?!? =/ lol

Anonymous said...

wow the phone company here is local and easy to deal with but oh well... hang in there...........think of all the shopping you can do. lol

Ladiebug said...

Yikes 5 am...I think I would cry when the alarm went off that early...Id ont get up till 6:45 am and I whine about that...OK I definatly wont now.
Starting a new job is always so hard....I hope it gets better!
HUGS!

Dr.John said...

I get up at 5:00 every morning for no reason except I can't get back to sleep. So I blog. Your job certainly sounds hard. But then in life there are very few black and white areas. I would hate a job where people call because they are angry. I will pray for you.

Anonymous said...

I seriously felt like I was experiencing deja vu reading this post. I understand and have experienced everything you've just typed...lol! The only difference for me was that I had to get up at 4am...sigh...

Congrats on your new job and glad to hear they're paying you well! :)

X said...

I hope yor training continues to go well...despite the early wake-up time. I hate waking up early...I'm so not a morning person! And yeah, no make-up is pretty much what I do...especially when I'm not going out in the field. When I do go out, I at least wear foundation.

Anonymous said...

Maybe with you working there, things could turn black and white and not so gray? Can you tell them we like things better in black and white please? LOL would be nice to get a straight answer when you call the phone company!

Riccie said...

Hey, sweetie. My advice is worth spit in the air...so with that clarification: Three-fourths of the stuff you learn in training you're not going to need anyhow. The point of it is to know where to go and how to access the information you will need while dealing with customers. Trust me. I have several years of experience in this line of work. Buy the time I got out of my initial training several years ago-half the stuff I'd learned was already obsolete. If you are comfortable with yakking on the phone and you are comfortable with your product knowledge-you'll do just fine. Yapping is 90% of it, and remember that you always know more than the customer :)