I know I've talked about the NFS Strike a lot lately. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it's changed my life- drastically. I was one of those people who always "had enough." I never knew the feeling of not having the money to pay the bills, or having to go the grocery store and buy a limited amount of food, and I sure didn't know how it felt to be without insurance, and wondering how in the world I'm going to get my medication, much less health care.
In the blink of an eye, my perfect world changed. There was no more steady, stable income. There was no health insurance. There was no money for anything. I hadn't worked since October of 2005. Aside from the fact I was really sick from then until April of this year, there was no need for me to work. Chris had a wonderful income, and the best insurance you could hope for. I went to the grocery store, and bought whatever I wanted. I went to get my hair and nails done. I went shopping. We took trips, and went out for dinner and a movie. I wanted for nothing.
The day I realized that it was all gone, I was nearly destroyed. I had put so much emphasis on things, and a "life of luxury", that I completely took for granted the things that did matter. The most humbling experience of my life, was going to the grocery store, and barely being able to buy enough food to feed us, because that was all the money I had. I was angry. That wasn't supposed to happen to me. I wasn't supposed to have to live like this. I've always had enough, why is this happening to me now?
I became very depressed. I couldn't go to the doctor, so I had no idea what my insulin levels were, or if anything else was wrong. Day by day, my medicine and injections were depleting, with no way to refill them. My injection and Glucophage alone cost $384.00, and I have five other prescriptions I need as well. I seriously contemplated suicide. I knew I'd be worth more dead than alive. At least Chris could bury me with the life insurance, and pay off the bills- which were mostly my fault to begin with. All rational thinking went out the door. I couldn't see an end to my suffering. I couldn't live like that. Day by day, I woke up disappointed that God didn't take me in my sleep. I had sunk to the lowest point in my life. I was ready for it to be over.
I never in my life imagined I'd have to go to a clinic, and not have to pay for my health care or medicine, because I didn't make enough money. I was so thankful just to be able to have health care, and medicine, but so humiliated because I couldn't pay for the services. These people work really hard, and it's so good of them to see people in situations like mine.
I couldn't truly tell you what changed me. I prayed hard every night. Even though I felt things were shit, I kept thanking God for what I did have, and was truly trying to be happy with what I had- although, I kept wanting more. I think we're programmed to want more. No matter what we have, it's never enough. There's always something else we "need" or "think we need."
I finally decided, it was time to do something for myself. My Daddy always told me, you can't depend on anyone to take care of you, but you. It was then, that I stopped feeling sorry for myself, and got out and started looking for something other than the dead end job I had. It took long enough, but I was finally hired at Sprint. Yeah, I held a few "transition" jobs in between, just to get me by until I found one that would provide. I'll have health insurance in 3 weeks, and I'm making enough money to pay the bills, and be able to actually buy groceries.
I'm getting out of my hell, but I can't help but think of those, for whom, it's a way of life. I often think of the sweet lady who worked at McDonald's. She was a customer of mine when I was working at Save-A-Lot in high school. She worked her fingers to the bone. She NEVER missed a day of work, and barely got enough food stamps to cover her food. If the truth be told, it wasn't enough to remotely feed her family. I know she lived paycheck to paycheck, struggling even when she was paid. I can't imagine how it feels to know, it's not gonna get any better? That, "this is as good as it gets."
I'm telling you now, I have a deep respect for the working poor. They are stronger people than I'll ever be. Someone who works their ass off, and has nothing to show for it, but perhaps a roof over their head, and some food on their table, are VERY strong people. In society today, we're so spoiled. I think we feel a sense of entitlement, because we've grown up with so much. I mean, for me, internet access, getting my nails done, going out to eat- even to McDonald's, was something I took for granted. Now, I take NOTHING for granted. I'm thankful when I eat a .99 double cheeseburger (AKA: Penny Meat Patty), when I have enough money to buy my family food at the grocery store, when I'm able to pay my bills so that the bill collectors aren't calling my house from 8am til 9pm. I'm thankful for each day I have.
I know how hard surviving is this day in time, and know what it takes to survive- truly survive.
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




15 comments:
hey, this is your blog, write about what you want, I dont think you sound like a broken record.The strike is something that affects you EVERYDAY of your life, why NOT write about it?
it takes a mighty smart and strong lady to think and perceive things like you've written here.
hubby and I have been thru something similar, oil dropped to under $15 a barrel, my $27,000 a year job moved out of state, we were broke.....so BROKE. Scary, but it actually made us closer...odd how things work in life, huh?
it is humbling isn't it? I discovered just how hard it was when I went back to school as a single mom. No luxeries, I didn't get my hair cut for 3 years. I cut it myself. Still don't get my nails done. haha
I am lucky though, in Canada, health care is free, regardless of your financial status, unless is considered cosmetic. Prescriptions, on the other hand, can be tough if you don't have health insurance, but I think there might be programs for those that can't afford it.
I wish more people could read this entry. We have been taught that things are important. But in reality they aren't. I think of all the people I have worked with that had to move into nursing homes or assisted living and had to give up all the things they had accumulated over the years. I am sorry that the life lessons are so hard.
"...Even so, I have noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat well, drink a good glass of wine, and enjoy their work--whatever they do under the sun--for however long God lets them live. And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good healthy to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life--that is indeed a gift from God. People who do this rarely look wtih sorrow on teh past, for God has given them reasons fro joy." ~ Ecclesiastes 5:18-20
I'm sorry, but I had to throw that scripture in there. Weird---that this post reminded me of that quote. I immediately turned to that page without looking it up!
Anyway, I truly believe that if you work hard, even if you make little, you live well. They may seem to struggle, but all their work and 'fruits' of their labor are well enjoyed.
Ever notice how wealthy people don't appreciate a lot of things--especially the small things in life? Well I think God puts people in these positions, because being wealthy wouldn't be good for them. I'm not sure what the reasons are, but I'd rather be happy, with a loving family, loving partner, than to be rich and lonely, with a million people wanting to be your friend.
I'm sorry for all you went through and the struggle to make it from point A. to point B.---but God sees you through all of it.
Thanks for sharing this!
*sorry for the typos on the quote*-----typed too fast!
After my ex husband left, I was a broke, single mom of a 18 month old. I had more bills than I had money and then I got fired. It's the one and only job I have ever been fired from in 16 years. I picked up trash, I washed trucks, I did what I had to do to survive. It wasn't pretty, but my daughter never knew how bad it was. And it was like that for years.
I agree with BG, this is something that affects you EveryDay of your life. You deal with it any way you can. You have shown that you are strong and beautiful and I commend you on doing as well as you have. Hang in there honey, I did and I'm glad I did. Tough times may not make you tougher, but they damn sure make you smarter.
wow, that's quite the story, almost brought a tear to my eye, i'm so glad that you didn't actually go thru with suicide, and that you are getting your life together.
the world as we know it now is solely based on money and who has the fanciest car, house, clothes. it's almost sickening. and sadly, i too take for granted what i have, thankfully i haven't been in your shoes but whose to say it won't happen to me? it could happen to anyone.
oprah did a show on this once with the guy that did "super size me" they lived for a month on minimum wage and it's heartbreaking what regular hard working families are put thru, it truly blew my mind and opened my eyes wide just as this post has done. i will try to appricate the small things.
thanks for sharing :)
This is an important lesson. I grew up with money and I only learned later in life what the value of money is. Sometimes I run into people who are a bit tighter in the money area than I am and I think I might be a bit unfair by seeing them as stingy when all they are doing is reacting the way they know about money based on their experience. Taking things for granted is something I haven't done in a while. It's a great thing to stay away from because it all can go away at any given minute.
-N
Wow this post really hit home with me. I grew up in a single parent enviroment with 4 brother's. My father barely made enough money to feed us, I know exactly where you are coming from.
Just today I was out at the mall shopping for a blue shirt for my husband and I stopped in Victoria Secret to buy a pair of sweat pants that were $36.50, expensive, I know but after I purchased them, I felt bad. I guess that feeling never goes away and it won't for you either. I think you came out of that with a better perspective. I know I did.
I think you are a humble person and you are so strong for posting this. I know it took a lot.
It is so important to realize what the "have-nots" go through in our society. We tend to think as a culture that the working poor somehow deserve it. I know so many families of good morals and hard work and faith who live from paycheck to paycheck or paycheck to no check each week. Good forgive that you realized what so many others go through and God speed as your life hopefully gets back to normal!
Thought provoking blog. I grew up with questioning any purchase. I think TV ads instill in us a desire to get more[ which is their purpose.
You deserve a "way to Go" on getting thingd back on track.
nobody ever said life was fair, or life was easy... it's a tough old world out there, but the one thing I've encouraged my children to do is never buy on credit. If you don't have the money, then you can't afford it...
you've survived it and lived to tell the tale and you are a credit to your husband....
hang in there Christy
lotsa luv ann xxxxxx
They say that everything happens for a reason.....sometimes I have a hard time keeping the faith. Thank you for sharing your story and your faith with us!
Really thought provoking, Christy. Thank you for sharing. Maybe I missed this...but do yall have any idea when he may be able to go back to work? PPG out of Lake Charles just settled their strike situation...those old boys had been out for quite a while...and they just went back to work last week or so (I believe).
Hang tough, sweetie. I'm praying for you.
The one thing I thought of when we caught word that my husbands employer was restructoring was "What will happen to the lifestyle we lead". As sad as that sounds, your right. We are programed to want more. The more you have the more you want. But I quickly started gathering things together to make sure things were in order if he did lose his job. But I also thought that maybe it was Gods way of letting us know that we werent living for the right reasons. And we needed to change that, and slowly we are doing just that. Even though he didnt lose his job, it was eye opening to see just how out of control our spending was on paper. Hang in there Christy, and know that you're in my prayers.
Post a Comment