*See bottom of blog for my response*
I receieved this comment from someone local who has been visiting my blog like crazy lately:
"I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the one to disagree with all this. I can certainly respect your opinion on the subject and supporting your husband and his co-workers. The point of a strike is to demonstrate to the company just how valuable the employees are, if the employees are on strike on the company can't function properly that shows they are worth what they are asking for, if the employees are on the strike and the company can hire new people and still produce, then the unionized employees are not worth what they are asking for. I think it is wrong to harrass the people who have crossed the picket line, since you aren't in their shoes and don't have to support their families, they are simply doing what they have to do. It is wrong to harrass the new hires, since they are only doing a job and they feel the pay/benefits are adequate for the work. The salaried employees who are peforming the jobs the hourly employees used to perform are simply doing their jobs and have no affiliation with the union in the first place. The guards are also just doing their job, they have lives and families to support just like anyone else. Bottom line is it is not right to tell someone how to run their life and what a fair wage for them is, if you don't feel you're getting fair treatment, there's always the option of finding a new job."
This is where they came from:
Domain Name charter.com ? (Commercial)
IP Address 71.80.19.# (CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS)
ISP CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS
Location Continent : North America
Country : United States (Facts)
State : Tennessee
City : Piney Flats
Lat/Long : 36.4405, -82.3495 (Map)
Language English (United States)
en-us
Operating System Microsoft WinXP
Browser Firefox
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
Javascript version 1.5
Monitor Resolution : 800 x 600
Color Depth : 32 bits
Time of Visit Sep 14 2006 9:36:05 pm
Last Page View Sep 14 2006 9:55:35 pm
Visit Length 19 minutes 30 seconds
Page Views 3
Referring URL http://www.google.co...zilla:en-US:official
Search Engine google.com
Search Words roger birchfield spoke
Visit Entry Page http://miss1999.blogspot.com/
Visit Exit Page http://miss1999.blog...rsday-afternoon.html
Out Click
Time Zone UTC-5:00
Visitor's Time Sep 14 2006 9:36:05 pm
Visit Number 3,062
Obviously, this person has never worked at NFS a day in their life, NOR DO THEY UNDERDSTAND WHAT THIS STRIKE IS ABOUT. THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE.
"I think it is wrong to harrass the people who have crossed the picket line, since you aren't in their shoes and don't have to support their families, they are simply doing what they have to do"
Who do you think you are to tell me about suffering? I believe I know all too well what that feels like. Do you know how it feels to worry about whether or not you're going to live because you can't afford your medication? Hmmmmmm, or how you're going to pay the bills? And God FORBID should get sick? Because there was no way to pay for medical care? How dare you assume I AND THE REST OF THE UNION EMPLOYEES/FAMILIES DON'T KNOW HOW IT FEELS! We DO. Perhaps you saw the nice picture of me and article in the Johnson City Press about a week ago? I think that pretty well sums things up about how I feel.
On to the job issues. Do you have a clue as to what REALLY goes on in NFS? Do you realize that any Joe-Shmoe waking in off the street, can't produce fuel? That you have to pass not one, but two govenment clearances in addtion to extensive training. Currently, THERE ARE NO QUALIFIED people operating in fuel. Yes, some of them have the "ability" to produce fuel, but have no pratical knowledge of production. Just ask anyone who's currently actually working in the plant about how production is going.
You know, I'd love to know WHAT YOU ACTUALLY KNOW FOR A FACT ABOUT THIS STRIKE? I have ALL OF THE PAPERWORK AND DOCUMENTS TO BACK EVERY STATEMENT THAT I'VE MADE. This strike isn't about money, it isn't about a person's ability to produce fuel or anything else. It's about the fact that taking someone's penison isn't right. As for the insurance, if you're making a product that the United States Navy CANNOT function without, should you not have adequate benefits for this service? Absolutely. MOST IMPORTANTLY- the Union is fighting for contract language, that will PROTECT THE SAFETY OF NOT ONLY THEMSELVES, BUT ALL PEOPLE OF UPPER EAST TENNESSEE, WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA AND SOUTHWEST VIRGINA. Not just ANYONE CAN DO THIS JOB. As much as NFS might like for people to think so.
As far as scabs go, they have NO RESPECT FOR THEMSELVES OR ANYONE ELSE. I desperately need insurance, without my medication and injections, I will die. Of all people, my husband SHOULD HAVE BEEN one of the one's to cross the picket line. He didn't, because he has princpals. He stands up for what he believes in. He has respect for himself, and his co-workers.
Harassment, you want to talk about harassment? How about the salaried employees who were LAUGHING at the strikers? Is that proper? This has been the MOST PEACEFUL STRIKE NFS HAS EVER SEEN.
Last, but certainly not least- You know my name, Christy Younce-Rach. I stand up for my thoughts and beliefs. You hide behind the name anonymous. I think it shows who's proud of what they believe, and who's hiding behind the scenes.
Friday, September 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
Christy, I am a card-carrying CWA member (Communication Workers of America). I know, I know...this coming from a conservative...is odd to say the least. But I'll tell you one thing: under no circumstances would I cross a picket line.
AMEN Christy! And there is so much more to what is going on. The American middle class was built by the unions in this country and the fair and equitable treatment they negeotiated benefited all Americans. That jobs are being outsourced, skilled union workers forced out of jobs by cheaper labor supplies around the world is a scandal - and the rest of us had better watch out -we're next.
Remind me never to tick you off...yikes! =)
Have a great weekend hon.
I only found your blog a day or so ago, found your writing interesting and have been visiting it to read them. I don't see the harm in that. I have been reading about the strike at NFS and find it to be a pretty big deal for the area, I came upon your page by searching for different things about it.
I thought I would simply state my opinion, I didn't intend for it to knock you or your family and friends in any way. Like I said, I do wish you all the best. I just have a different opinion on working/jobs.
A little about me, I don't know what it's like to need medication to live, but I have lost a job and as a result lose my home. I've been there, I know things are tough, once again that's why I wish you all the best.
Also, no, it is not right for the salary workers to laugh at you all. I realize you're doing what you think is right and that is what you should do. It just comes back to me believing each person should do what they think is right for themselves and other should not interfere with that.
Finally, I post under anonymous simply because I don't have an acount nor do I wish to create one.
Wow! I tend to agree with you Christy. Being a child of two union workers (father=steel/retired) & step father= paper/retired). I wish that my husband were union, because it would have prevented alot of the scare tactics used in the past month over the company restructuring. Though he was one of the few who was kept, it was still very scary. Unions protect anf fight for there members, and non union members are just left in shambles, waiting in the unemployment line and looking for a decent job making enough to pay there bills. I hope that soon things settle down for NFS families, and they are given what they deserve.
P.S. To Anonymous, an account isnt required to leave your name, just click the "other" option and leave your name and email :)
You tell them, darling! :)
-N
That's my girl...
"You know my name, Christy Younce-Rach. I stand up for my thoughts and beliefs. You hide behind the name anonymous."
that alone says ALOT
Amen and considering that unions put a roof over my head and food in my stomach people need to understand how they work and why they work before they mouth off about something they don't know about. No one who respect the work people should cross a picket line though I have to be upfront and say I work where there is a no strick rule retail who knew.
Post a Comment