Sunday, February 11, 2007

True Friendship?

For the past couple of days, a former friend of mine, Heather, has been on my mind. Heather was my best friend from 1st grade. We had the best time together. I could be silly and crazy around Heather, and she would be equally as nuts. From the 4th grade on, we had planned our weddings. We didn't know who we were going to marry, but we knew what we wanted when we did meet that special someone. We ordered those free bridal invitation magazines that the bridal magazines were flooded with. We got book after book, sample after sample, and just KNEW what it was we wanted. We we got married, I was going to be her maid of honor, and she was going to be mine.

Through the years we fought off and on, but always ended up being friends in the end. In August of 2002, she was married. She told me she was having a very small wedding with no attendants. Although hurt, I respected her decision. She said she wasn't sending out any invitations, just to come. Ok. This was NOTHING like she had planned, but I know things change, and people change. I went to Heather's wedding. Her mother was the matron of honor. That hurt, but once again, I respected her decision. I was grateful just to be there.

On December of 2002, I was married. I started planning VERY early. I notified Heather I wanted her to be my maid of honor (since Monger was going to be the matron of honor). I wanted my two best friends standing beside of me. I told Heather how much it would cost to have her dress made. For weeks she put me off, until she finally said she didn't have the money to have the dress made-- and then, had the audicity to infer that I was trying to make money off of the deal. I was OUTRAGED. I told her she could come look at the reciepts and see exactly how much the material costs to make each dress. Desperate, I even offered to pay for her dress.

She wasn't in my wedding. My heart was absolutely broken. One of my best friends, who had been there since age 6, wasn't there for me. I didn't send her an invitation, and she didn't show up. I didn't want here there anymore. It hurt. Badly. But, it showed me just who she was. Heather wasn't my friend. She never was. Heather is a lost soul. She's a victim of her mother's ideal. He mother sacrificed her marriage to make Heather the center of her world. Dressing her the way she wanted her to, and passively agressively manipulating her to be the person she wanted to be. Heather grew up to be a shallow woman, to whom friendship means nothing. It means so little, that the man she's married to, was the boyfriend of another of her best friends, Brandy.

I think about Heather from time to time. It still hurts to know that she's the kind of person she is, but she made her choices, and I made mine. She told my aunt the last time she saw her, that she hated that we "fell out of touch." We didn't fall out of touch. I've made a concious choice not to call her. I have nothing to say.

I'm just thankful for the TRUE, REAL friends I do have. I'm thankful for Monger, Justin, Jake, Michael, Missy, and all of those whom I can truly count on. I'm thankful for those who have held my hand, and not in vain. Those who will stand up for me, and support me, even when I'm wrong. I love you guys, and I thank you for never letting me down. I thank you for not being a "Heather".

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm. i bet there's more to it than that. very hurtful to have someone bail on you after all this time, but i hold out hope that one day she will come to you and try to make amends :)

Cheryl Wray said...

You know, it's really weird how friends fall out of your life. And how some of them--the ones you know are your true friends--stay with you through it all. I have had both kinds and it's hard when you lose one of them! But perhaps someday you can be reconciled. People can change, so you never know!
I hope you have a wonderful night and week!
And thank you SO much for the sweet comments you've made lately. All of you are so special!!

BarnGoddess_01 said...

sometimes the shocking harsh reality of who we thought are friends REALLY are can be a good thing, it culls out the bad ones and cements the real ones in our lives.

I am sorry about your loss of this friendship. Ive mourned the loss of a friendship before, its sad and painful.

((hugs))

Catch said...

Feel sorry for Heather. She hasnt joined in all the fun you and your friends have when you are together. Shes missing out. A lifelong friend is always a special relationship...this one is Heathers loss.

Deb said...

That's so sad Christy. My sister went through a similar situation with her best friend.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe she was jealous of your wedding and needed an outlet, and unfortunately she said things that hurt you- making you her outlet. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that... I try to see things in another light- and of course you're not out to make money out of a wedding. You put so much INTO the wedding to begin with! But, some people are narrow-minded and / or jealous. I don't know what the reason, but she lost a very special friend.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Courtney said...

It is so sad when you think back to friends that you treasured, but weren't what you thought they were. You somehow wish things could have been different... however, without them be different it couldn't have been. Try to remember the good times and keep going. Life is too short to dwell.

Ladiebug said...

Ugh i just typed up a huge response and it's gone..ugh! Longs tory short I had the same stuff go on with a friend and it still hurts 4 years later. It always hurts when you share so much laughter, secrets and love with a friend and they turn on you without any reason. Maybe some day I will post my story. I just have to get in the mood.
HUGS!

Natalia said...

Too sad that things like that have to happen. But if you do really feel that someone is a toxic friend, then letting them go is the only solution.

-N

Cinderella said...

I agree with you 100%. You don't need fair weather friends in your life. I always said if I got through life with atleast ONE good friend that I could count on through thick and thin that I would be blessed. And, well, I have one!! Don't blame yourself (not that you are) but still, you tried to keep the door open for her, it's just too bad she kept slamming it in your face.

You are blessed to have those friends in your life though, it makes you value and appreciate your true friends even more!!

mindtwister said...

I know the feeling of people you thought were your friends not really being that way in the end.

It hurts, but you can only live by the choices "you" make.

Speaking from someone who has been in that position too many times, I can say you probably did the right thing.

Don't let the Heathers of the world get you down. Love and appreciate those that you do have :)

flea said...

ouch! that's really rough, but i truly believe that everything happens for a reason and or purpose....in the end it's made you a stronger person and you cherish the "true" friends that you have

Rachel said...

Well, I had a Heather in my life, too. My best bud Em. We had so much fun together over the years and we had always planned to do the same. But she had a bad marriage and got divorced. I had just started my journey into hell and she came up with excuse after excuse as to why she couldn't be my maid of honor. Something we had planned for years.

I still think of Emily sometimes, too. Wonder what happened to her and stuff because after she pulled out of being my maid of honor at the last minute, it hurt and I just never pursued the friendship anymore. It wasn't really one anyway, I suppose.

Crabby said...

Real, true to the heart, friends come along rarely. When they do, they're worth more than any amount of money.

I'm sorry she hurt you, kiddo. And really sorry for her because she didn't recognize your value.

Anonymous said...

True friendship is priceless..Few people have it...n if u have it, plz dont lose it