To the good ol' days? The days when we could go out and ride around with complete strangers, and nothing would happen to you? When kids settled things with words, or, in some instances, their fists, instead of guns? When people could speak their minds without someone constantly getting offended or taking things out of context?
Some of those things were crossing my mind earlier today. I graduated from high school ten years ago. In 1996, we could go to the AMC, and cruise around. Me and Jen would hop in the car and ride around with anyone who invited us. Nothing ever happened, back then, it was pretty safe. Today, if you got in the car with some random person, you'd probably be on the six o'clock news as a casualty. In 1996, there were no surveillance cameras in the high school. Guns, no one brought guns to school. The most "illegal" thing people brought to school was a pack of cigarettes. Today, there are over 30 cameras in EHS. In 10 years, what the hell happened?
When did we go from being ok, to so very, very bad? It just seems like things have gone downhill so fast, I just don't know when it started to happen? When did things get so out of control in this world, that we had to resort to solving our problems with meth and guns? I know I live in a small town in Tennessee, but I keep my eyes open. I just don't see how things got this bad.
You know, I think at some point in time EVERYONE was picked on for something, but I never thought about going to school, and shooting someone for calling me a name or picking on me for something. I never felt the way to escape my problems was to pick up a joint, or shoot up something to kill the pain. I felt the pain, just like everyone else in the world feels pain. I took the good with the bad.
It disheartens me so to see things the way they are. I often long for the good ol' days. I'm sure many of you hear me all too well...
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




14 comments:
I moved to the States 13 years ago and have seen so much change, so many shootings. I know the NRA would never allow arms to be banned, but I have to say I know Americans feel it is their constitutional right to bear arms, but times have changed, with the freedom to bear arms, and the ease with which they are acquired makes living here a war zone and I fear for my kids and the way they have to live.
Right behind you on this - I never expected to send my children off to school in the morning wondering if they would come home again. There are 10 1/2 years between my children. I let my older side ride his bike "uptown" with his friends when he was 8. I now won't let my 7 year old son play in the yard by himself. A sad commentary on our nation.
My parents would let you leave in the morning and not really worry about you till dinner time came around. I graduated in 87 and things really were not all that rosy then but they were not as bad as now that's for sure. I don't feel safe letting my kids out in the yard unless me, mom or one of our dogs are out there with them. society is truly crumbling beneath us at an alarming rate nowdays.
My mother has this theory: People from space are here. Yes--ALIENS! They have taken over! (No she didn't escape from the psyche ward. She's really serious though. She feels something happened to people where they just go bonkers. There are much more murders, serial killers and psychos running loose.
Also, another "theory" is that our milk is loaded with chemicals and hormones--making our kids lash out more than ever, and have more mental disorders than years ago. A lady was telling me this at the bar a few months ago, where she has to go to a certain store to buy organic milk for her kids.
What about the school shootings and kids killing their own parents?
This was unheard of years ago.
(Sorry this was so long.) I totally agree with everything you said.
I think about these things as well. I talk about these things in class as well cause we explore the role the media and violence in the media might have played.
I hate guns. I mean, I can appreciate them as artifacts...but I think they should be banished.
But the problem isn't just the guns, it's the fact that human life seems to have lost its value to a lot of people.
These are scary times.
-N
yes, times are definately different from when I graduated in '87.
A couple of weeks ago, my 12 yo and I had the school violence/guns talk. This was a conversation that was UNHEARD of when I was in the 7th grade..............sad.
We must be on the same wavelength, sweetie, as I am having the same type of thoughts. Yesterday afternoon I lived through my daughter being in lockdown at her school because of some nutball escaped convict toting a gun is on the loose. I'm still undone over it...thanks for this post.
we live in so called modern enlightened times, but society has disintegrated; there are no moral values, life is not sacred, people care about No.1 and don't give a damn about who they hurt on the way
This is a subject that I think of often.....you are right...things just aren't the way they used to be....it's sad. Last week I went into my sons school for our first parent teacher conference (his school is very big on safety which makes me happy) his teacher told me that they have already had a panic drill this year (they didn't have those when I was in school) it's a drill of what to do If someone enters the school that is NOT supposed to be there. And they have had several meetings on safety issues....the school is K-5 they shouldn't have to worry about security systems and those kind of things....they should be thinking about a new playground or books. It's a sad state of the world but hopefully hopes not lost. There are still a lot of Good people out there!
I wonder the same thing myself...people have become cowards (not all obviously) they hide behind violence. Guns are now the weapon of choice instead of words or like you said fists. I totally have no idea where this all came from. I look at my children and cannot help but wonder how things will be 10 years from now..it scares me.
I remember those days, I often wonder what happened to them too.
I can remember when I was 15 yrs old & positively roaming the streets of Elizabethton, Tn. I would walk to my friends houses or to the movies. No one ever bothered or harrassed me. I'm an adult now & I wouldn't dream of doing that now. It's just not safe anymore. It is such a shame that we can't do that now. Layla Malone
I hear ya, my high school is a disgrace now. It's no secret that I did a lot of drugs, but I never killed for things, I never thought about it.
I often wonder about these things, too. Since my daughter is only 6 I worry about what the next ten years will be like for her.
You said it all. It's the truth..
It went from bad to worse, to awful.. I graduated in 1982 in the big city of Houston,Texas...... We though it was bad then..
We didn't know anything..
Post a Comment