Saturday, September 02, 2006

Music...

I've always been a person who loved music. I grew up listening to the hits from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. It seems like for every event, big or small, in my life, that music has played a big part of it. I can't turn on the radio without hearing something I've loved at some point in my life. Hearing certain songs takes me back to the moment I was in- I can remember EVERYTHING. I remember what I was doing, how I looked, how I felt, who was with me- it's like a movie playing back in my mind.

I've uploaded quite a few new songs, each one, holding a special memory for me. Strange Magic: By ELO, holds a special memory for me. It was the summer of 2004. I had dyed my hair brown, and HATED IT!! I decided I was going back blonde, and Susan and Eddie (AKA: Cracker) were going to help me. I went to their house with a bleaching kit. Susan put the bleach on my hair, and while I was processing under this dinosaur hair dryer that belonged to Cracker's Mamaw, we were flipping through the channels.

Susan stopped on Lifetime. Surprisingly, Eddie, Eddie (Cracker), nor Kevin objected. The movie (The Virgin Suicides), ended up scaring me for life. Where I'm going with this, during the movie, the song "Strange Magic" came on. Of course, I began singing along, and everyone ended up laughing and having a good time. It wasn't necessarily the most life changing moment, but I was with my friends, and doing something to improve myself, so it left an imprint in my memory, and my heart.

Jackie Blue. I'll keep it short- At Proffitts', we had a, well, I don't know exactly what it was, anyway- Our music pretty much would repeat itself every few days. As most of you know, I love 70's music, and every time Jackie Blue would come on, I'd go through the store, serenading anyone who I passed. Most of my co-workers thought I was nuts, but Kim, she would always sing along with me. Something I definitely miss.

Sister Christian. A song I grew up loving. A song that defines the 80's- and true story here- The song was originally titled "Sister Christy", but it didn't fit with the music, and was then changed to the song we all know and love, "Sister Christian". If you were growing up in the 80's you already know why I love this song, no explanation is necessary.

Time After Time (By Inoj). The remix. I still love the original, but the remix, I danced to with Bobbie at the club nearly 7 years ago. Bobbie and I were close, probably closer than we ever should've been. He was my best friend, and I hate things ended the way that they did- but I'll always have memories of that night.

Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves. A song of empowerment. I recently "broke out" this song after several years. After the strike, it became apparent, that if anything was going to be done, I had to do it for myself- and that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm doing it for myself.

The Space Between. The "Tim B." song. Nope, I've never told you about Tim. I will, I promise. He was my boss at a car dealership I once worked for. The job was absolutely fast paced. There was no time to breathe, no time to think- you just did your job. When there was a free moment, I felt like a goddess! I was one of 7 women, amongst 70 men! I was told, and I quote, "You look like you stepped right out of a magazine!" by one of the men. I was hit on daily, but the only one I wanted was Tim. This song would be playing on the radio nearly every day when I went to work. Tim would look at me and smile when it would play. I can't explain it, but there was a connection between us- unfortunately, there was a big space between us, that made it impossible for a relationship. Regardless, I treasure the memories.

I have a few other songs listed that hold special memories as well, but those were the biggies. Tell me, do you have songs that hold special memories for you?

6 comments:

ann said...

Chicago... If you leave me now

This song was out when I first married and I used to think to myself I don't what I'd do if you leave me, you're my life... the rest is history :>(

BarnGoddess_01 said...

OMG! Sister Christian, memories of my early summer, 16yo, my boyfriend with the cool red Chevelle, showing the youth AQHA circuit, and my BIG hair....

thnx for the memories!!

Anonymous said...

Jackson Browne's "For a Dancer" - played it a Chris' funeral and have it in my funeral instructions to be played at mine . . . And Neil Diamond's "Beautiful Noise" - my feelings about my life in two cities - NYC and Boston!

Criminal Minds Fan said...

Early Springsteen songs from Born to Run remind me of being a teenager growing up on Long Island. It takes me back in time! :)

Anonymous said...

Show Me Your Glory by Third Day. Yeah it's contemp christian and fairly new but I will always and forever associate it with the Heaven's Gates Hell's Flames production we did. It was the most wonderful time! I have never been more alive!

Anonymous said...

The Eagles- Those Shoes. That's a power song for me. Anything by the Eagles conjures up so many memories...mostly good...some bad. Hi, sweetie! Just catching up after being really busy for a bit. Your blog gives me much food for thought :)
By the way, it's me...Riccie. Blogger seems to be really teed off at me right now...I'm having lots of trouble posting comments on blogs I visit. Have a good evening :)