There isn't a single person alive, over the age of 10, that doesn't remember where they were 5 years ago today. I was sitting at my desk in Tri-Cities Nissan, ready to pull my hair out because the phone wouldn't stop ringing. There was a television in the showroom, in which I could only see, but not hear. I got pretty good at reading lips, especially since I didn't like missing As The World Turns. On this particular day, everything I had taken for granted, came tumbling down.
As I answered the phone, and watched Good Morning America, something changed. Something happened, that would change our lives forever. I remember the breaking news, seeing the plane crash into the World Trade Center. My first thought was, "How can someone be so stupid that they can't see a building!!!" I was angry, because I thought someone was stupid. Oh, they were stupid alright. I just had no idea HOW stupid.
When I realized that it was an attack by terrorist, it rocked me to the core. I couldn't believe it. HOW could this happen to US? The United States, the most powerful country in the world, brought to it's knees in a matter of seconds. I remember watching the second plane hit the second tower. When they tumbled to the ground, I believe my heart did as well. It wasn't until later, that I learned about the Pentagon, and the heroic measures taken of those on flight 93.
I couldn't imagine what those people were feeling. The fear, the anger, the shock, the terror, and worst of all, knowing you were going to die. I was haunted by the images of the husband and wife, holding hands jumping from the building together. The images of the firemen and policemen who were overwhelmed as they tried in desperation to help those in need.
I've never been to New York, Pennsylvania, or DC. I can't claim to know or even begin to know the feeling of loss and pain these people felt on that day. I can't even begin to say I understand their anger, sorrow, confusion and pain. You can't possibly understand unless you were there. What I can understand is the pain that America as a whole felt on that day. We all felt our foundation had been moved. Everything we had come to hold dear, our precious freedom and safety had been compromised. It was then, we realized that we must stand together, united to support one another.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all who lost their lives on September 11th, 2001, and all who survived, but are still bearing the scars of the greatest tragedy that has taken place in my lifetime. God Bless America...
Monday, September 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
I recall in vivid detail exactly where I was and what I was doing-as pretty much everyone else does on that day. When the comprehension sunk in...when I 'got' the fact that we were under attack...I felt a vulnerability that I'd never felt before or after this day. In the days since 9/11, as the mainstream has learned more about those that attacked us, what strikes me is the level of hatred that continues to be taught to children. May God help us all...
I was there in NYC. I heard the first plane hit just as I finished celebrating the morning Eucharist. The minute I think about it, I can still smell it. There simply are no words.
I was in school, someone showed me on CNN.com and I didn't believe them. I thought it was a joke and someone had made it up. (I was in a class full of graphic designers who coul make anything look real that isn't)
"It is our John Kennedy!"
chrissy is 100% right.
a day we will NEVER forget..
I think everyone recalls the time and details of that morning. I remember calling my girlfriend from my job and saying, "Did you hear about the plane crashing into the WTC?" And she said, "Oh some stupid drunk crashed his plane!"
Then the other plane hit. And other planes were still out there. That was scary, and I just remember sleeping that night (or trying to) when they said there would be absolutely NO airplanes in the sky.... Well I heard a LOUD one, ....but it was a military guard plane. They should have told us they would be monitoring the area. I freaked out.
This weekend when I was eating at a cafe in the West Village in NY, there were exlosions going off--firework display. Everyone's face dropped when they heard a huge "boom". NY is still in fear whether we admit to it or not.
great post....i can remember that day as if it were yesterday. chrissie is so right this is the one event that we will tell our grand children and great-grand children, it felt as if for that moment the world stopped turning, all that we knew was turned upside down and our lives and our country will never be the same.
It is five years later and I go home to NY at least 3 or 4 times a year and I am still overcome with emotion when I see NY out the plane window before landing. I think for the rest of my life I will feel that way. :(
I think everyone remembers and has a story for me I was in the middle of a medical thing so it was strange. It is the saddess thing to happen to this country.
Greast post. We will never forget those emotions or where we were that day.
I agree it definatly was out John Kennedy!
I was working at a daycare at the time. It was so hard to be all happy go lucky around the kids....our building was put under lock down because there was also a IRS office in the building that had a bomb threat at the same time. I just remember cuddling with a couple kids (I worked with the 10-18 month olds)during naptime that day.......when I went home I was glued to the TV.
Beautifully stated!!
I live in Pennsylvania (my little town ends in "Ville" so you know I am not too far from the crash scene)..I remember everything from that day and always will. I think as long as we as a nation never forget, we will never fall to our knees again. I was heartbroken that day and I hope WE never feel that way again.
God bless America! =)
I will always remember where I was that day. It made me feel so small in comparison to the world around me and what can happen so quickly. I felt so bad for the people there. For the people I don't even know I cried. and prayed.
Post a Comment