Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Everything Is NOT What It's Cracked Up To Be...

Yep, I'm talking about my new job. I know, I change jobs more than most people change underwear. I'm working for a Sprint Call Center. Sounds easy enough, right? I mean, all I'm going to be doing, is answering billing questions, and trouble shooting on problems with people's phones. I'm making 10.34 an hour, plus commission for any "add on's" I sale. Sounds like a dream come true- WRONG!!!

I found out today why you make said amount of money- BECAUSE you put up with massive bull-shit!!! It's bad enough that I have to get up at 5:00am every morning. I mean, typically, I would be in bed about, oh, two hours then. So now, I'm going to bed by 9pm, which sucks majorly.

Then, to make matters worse, I find out that everything I was told when I was hired, was complete and total BS!!! Our schedules are subject to change, at ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE. We are open 365 days a year- and are required to work any and ALL holidays that fall on our shift, including, but not limited to Easter and Christmas. I DON'T THINK SO!!! I don't believe ANY Christian should be forced to work on either of these holidays. I told them, that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do I believe in working on these days. They asked me if I told HR when I was hired. I informed them no, because I had NO idea that these type of call centers were open 365 days a year.

I was just irate. Then, when they continually harped on "YOU MUST BE HERE ALL 7 WEEKS OF TRAINING WITHOUT MISSING OR BEING TARDY", I was ready to pull my hair out. They preached this for OVER 2 hours. Two hours of saying nothing but we have to be there. I mean, it's not like they're speaking to people who's IQ is below 70. We get it already.

The final straw came when the HR woman, who drives me NUTS- the same one who told me I had to get a new license because it said Younce-Rach for my last name instead of Rach- because of the Patriot Act. Well, the Patriot Act can kiss the area on my body where the sun don't shine!!! Anyway, she had EVERYTHING still listed as Younce-Rach for my last name today, after she made SUCH A BIG DEAL about getting it changed. I could've throttled her!!!

So, am I enjoying my new job. That's a big negatory. The ONLY positive is that in 30 days, I have much needed health insurance. Please God, let the NFS strike end. I can't take much more of this!!!

Hope you enjoyed my colorful rant about Sprint. The moral of this story is: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy, you are in my prayers. It is horrible what so many american workers are forced to endure because of cheap labor costs elsewhere in the world. These big companies want folks to be grateful that they even have a job, rather than appreciating the skills workers bring to their jobs. Praying that the strike resolves and you can resume your former life. In the meantime, my prayers that you survive!

Riccie said...

Oh Christy...telecommunications is my line of work! I sooo understand what you are saying. It's like anything else, though. Some call centers are fabulous. Some suck big time. I'm so sorry you are stuck in a cr*ppy one!

BarnGoddess_01 said...

What is the deal w/ your name? I think that is ridiculous-you should NOT have to change it, your HR lady sounds like a nutjob.

hang in there, I am a firm believer everything always works out in the end....it just sucks big time along the way.

((hugs))

Natalia said...

Awww...I am so sorry things are not going well at the new place. I used to work at a call center. There is a lot of taking advantage of the workers in that area...I know. It can be horrible. The working conditions in this country suck at times, don't they? Especially the whole insurance thingamajig. Here's hoping that it all turns out for the best. I try to think that out of every bad situation, something good must come out.

-N

K said...

I think everyone has worked in telecomm at least once in their lives. Maybe you will find a shift with great people to make it worth while.Here's hoping.

Smooches!

RedNeckGirl said...

Sounds like they treat their employees as bad as their customers. Good for you about standing up for yourself on the Holidays. I hope it gets better and that the strike ends soon!

Deb said...

They have to lure you in somehow, telling you the best they can--putting their best foot forward.

Is there a lot of turn around? I mean, do you have any knowledge if they 'can't keep' employees? That's a big sign of a bad company.

I hope that's not the case and things work out. Tonight, take a hot bath with candles and listen to some soft music. Hell, break out a bottle of champange.

{{hugs}}

RedNeckGirl said...

P.S. I've tagged you!

cathouse teri said...

I've never worked at a call center. My oldest son has and he's really good at it! It is full of bullshit, though.

I have now discovered that being a nanny is the best job in the world! It's true that not everyone is cut out for the job of raising other peoples' children, but the cool thing is you get paid holidays and vacations and stuff like that! Okay, you don't get any other benefits.

Yeah, you win. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't. :)

But I love my job. I think everyone should love their jobs. You spend far too much time doing it to hate it.

Cinderella said...

I think we all have been where you are...some jobs tend to leave out those little bits of info to suck you in, once you are in, they think they have you.

I don't believe in working on holidays like Christmas or Easter either, that's just wrong!! People should be with their families, not at a desk!

I hope you don't have to work those days, what meanie heads!

flea said...

ick, i can so relate. i too once worked for an evil call centre from hell. i feel for ya, hang in there though

Melinda said...

I hope everything works out for you. I know how you feel about being screwed at work. It happens all the time. They never tell you the bad stuff until you are hired. That's just how things work. But I know it sucks.Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Wait, because of the patriot act, you can no longer have a hyphenated last name? Why? That doesnt make sense at all, and it isnt as if you appear to be a terrorist for crying out loud. I hope your husbands work back to normal soon.

X said...

Man...that sucks ass. I send you many, many hugs. What type of call centre is open on Xmas? If I got a telemarketing call on Xmas...I would kill them! And if I have a billing question for the phone company, I ain't calling instead of having a grand old day! I will call on the 27th! People are stupid!

Hugs...hope the job gets better :)

Greta Adams said...

oh sweet jesus...we have a cingualr call center hear and they cannot keep people...it is a nightmare everyone said to work in!!!