I've been reflecting a lot about some of the dear friendships I have and have had throughout the years. I have a very diverse group of friends to say the least. I have friends of all races, color, creeds, and religions. Gay and straight, black and white, large and small, they can all be found in my circle of friends. One thing I'm so thankful for, is that I was raised to judge people by their hearts, and not their outsides. I chose my friends based upon their merits, not what color they were, who they slept with, or what God they worshiped.
Jen, is my best friend- a truly insane monger. We've been through thick and thin together. Momma once said, "You'd lie, and Jen would swear to it." She's absolutely right. There's nothing in this world I wouldn't do for her. We've been in some hellatious fights over the years, but have always found our way back to each other. We were pretty much what you'd call WILD girls. There was no dare we wouldn't take, or no rule we wouldn't break. We'd stand up for each other no matter what. You couldn't ask for a better friend.
Ebony, AKA: Gigi, one of the craziest friends I've ever had. I met Ebony in high school. We had French I and II together. When she first saw me, she thought I'd be stuck up, and a snob- she told me she never thought we'd end up being the best of friends. I've always had so much fun with her. From taking the Lincoln around the block, and SWEARING to her daddy we didn't take it, to going to Fazoli's every friday- we did it all.
Our friendship wasn't the easiest. A teacher at school, who we'll call Mrs. R, didn't like the fact that I was friends with Ebony. She would constantly ask Ebony why she was friends with me. This woman was "black", and I'm using that term loosely, because I don't think the African-American community would claim her- or any other community for that matter. Anyway, I over-heard Mrs. R, giving another teacher hell, accusing them of being racist. There wasn't a racist bone in Coach H's body. He was a good Christian man who loved ALL people. Where I'm going with this- Mrs. R screamed out that he probably thought she was all about some fried chicken and watermelon. I looked at Ebony and told her- "I sure do! I thought everybody did!" I had no idea that was supposed to be a racist remark. Hell, I thought everybody south of the Mason Dixon line loved fried chicken, watermelon, pecan pie- You get my drift. It's just good ol' Southern comfort food, doesn't have anything to do with race.
Needless to say, Ebony and I are still good friends. We didn't pay any attention to Mrs. R, or other ignorant people who judged us by the color of our skin. We don't have time for all that- there's MANY more things in this world to worry about than the color of someone's skin.
I can't forget Justin, Jake, Michael, Jeremy, and Deb. My gay and lesbian friends. They're each one so dear to me. I have so much fun when I'm with them (granted, I only see Deb here online, but I always love reading her blog, comments and e-mails). From, "Give It Up For Drivers ED"- a famous Jeremy quote, to "Penny Meat Patty", and Deb's never ending battle with OCD, Depression, and all of the things I struggle with daily, too, there's never a dull moment. No matter what we do, we always end up having a blast together- as well as learning a lot from each other.
So many people are judgmental of my gay/lesbian friends. They are constantly condemning of them and their lifestyle- like it's a choice to be gay. They didn't choose to be gay anymore than I chose to be straight, or have PCOS. It's who you are. Like I've always said, "I don't care who you're sleeping with, as long as it's not my man!" I can't judge how anyone lives their life. God knows I live a FAR from perfect life. I love people, and it's up to God to judge each of us at our time of passing- it's not up to us to pass judgment on each other.
That brings me to the point of this post. True friendship is blind. It sees no discrimination. It sees only the heart of the other person. I'm thankful for ALL of my friends, black and white, gay and straight, Christian and Pagan- I'm thankful each and every one of you are in my life!
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
That is an awesome post. I send you hugs for writing it! :)
I think both friendship and love is blind....because when you truely care for someone, you care for their hearts, not their hair colour or pant size. Good on you. :)
Great post!!!! you are awesome (so much like me :)you remind me of myself, just 10 years younger.
friends are what is inside, not what they look like, what they have, or their income. Again, Great Post!!!
My best friend L. (since 4th grade) moved to Okla w/ me in '89. She is a true friend, like your Jen. If I called up L. and told her I needed help, she wouldnt ask any questions, she'd just be here with the speed of light....friends dont get any better than that.
You are very true! Ignorance is a sad trait that many people to carry! I too have many friends of many denominations and I love each one of them for the similarities and differences they bring to the circle. Wish more people could think in that same fashion.
Scripture tells us that God made each of us in God's image and likeness. If God made us all so varied, then God must be varied too - and must appreciate and value difference. I try to look at each person I meet as a unique revelation of God - and learn new things about who God is from them.
And yes - we judge our friends by our hearts - not by anything else. I'm with you on judgment. I am way to busy confronting my own sins to be worried about anyone elses! Great post!
This is truly a wonderful post. I couldn't agree with you more. I wish many more people could see things like you do, without discrimination.
We're all a part of the Human race and so many people forget that. Great post, absolutely great!
Nice post. Really, really nice.
Another wonderful post. It's great to have such amazing friends!
Post a Comment