I'm sure that makes an abundance of sense, huh? Let me explain. Thus far in my 27, soon to be 28 years of existence 1999 had been the best year of my life. I was blonde, tanned, young and free. I had the world at my fingertips. I had more men than I knew what to do with. I had the most beautiful car, a 1995 white Camero Convertible. I had anything and everything I wanted. I had a great career, and tons of friends. I was living MY American Dream. Living that fast has consequences. You can only stay that high for so long, before crashing. And crash I did. My plethora of men dried up quickly. Mark was a nutjob pervert, Neil was married, Jeff was worthless, and Brian was separated with too much baggage. I was so finished with dating. Money quickly dried up, too. When you buy any and everything you want, you become broke before you know what hit you. Depression set in, and the longing for what I once had took over my life. In spite of all that happened, I would've gladly done it all over again. No regrets.
For years, I've longed for the feeling I had in 1999- until the year 2004. In 2004, I had so many ups and downs. I was struggling to find a job (imagine that). I worked for a telemarketing center, Hilton Head Hospitality, and was miserable. The only thing that kept me going with the time I spent with my friends- Eddie, Eddie, Susan and Kevin. You didn't see one, without the other four. We were inseparable.
Eddie, Eddie and Susan rented a house in Milligan, and every day after work, we ALWAYS hung out together. We would go run the roads, play tennis, and sometimes just hang out at the house. It didn't matter what we did, we always had a good time together. Having my friends meant everything to me.
In June, I was very fortunate. I got a job at Proffitts' in Bristol, VA. I started out in accessories. I was so excited! I loved my job, and took such pride in it. I was finally in a place where I was able to dress nicely, and do the things I loved. My co-workers were awesome. My first friend I met at work was Mary. She and I worked in accessories together for a few months. Megan and Natasha took to me instantly. They were college students, and I guess looked up to me. We would hang out a lot outside of work. One of my best friends, Jake, was the receiving manager, so it was great to be able to spend time with him as well.
Things were finally looking up for me. I looked good. I felt good. I had a good job. I was surrounded by my friends. Life couldn't have been better.
It's amazing how much things change in the matter of a year or two. I no longer work at Proffitts', well, due to the fact it doesn't exist anymore. My friends, I still have them, but they've all since moved. We don't get together as often as we'd like. My husband no longer has a job. We've struggled, but haven't given up.
No, my life isn't where I'd like for it to be, but I'm trying. I haven't given up hope. I'm making a conscious effort to make things better. I'm making an effort to see and talk to my friends. I'm making an effort to better my life. If nothing else, this strike has taught me that I'm much stronger than I ever gave myself credit for- I can survive. I have survived. I will thrive again.




7 comments:
Thank you for sharing this. Thank you.
Amazing. Sometimes we need that "low" to make us realize how fortunate we really are.
What an amazing woman you are, and the fact that you made such an effort is something I wish I had the ability to do.
By the way, you look stunning in that picture! ;)
wow, I hope things look up for you soon. Hubby and I always seem to get closer when we hit a rough spot, weird.
Thnx for coming by the res, I read your profile and I have a lot in common w/ you. Like the Prey Novels, music, movies ( I loved the Skeleton Key) Ill be back 'round to see ya.
Hi - just wanted to say "hi" and thank you for stopping by my blog. I think I read on Riccie's blog that you were a Christian looking for other Christians in cyberspace . . . I tried to email, but couldn't get the address to go. You have survived and you will thrive! God bless!
Kate+
Hi Missy! Thanks for stopping by my place. Take the time to think what would really make you happy and go in that direction. The success will follow. Best of luck to you and your hubby.
You know, I loved The Trip to Bountiful!
you're a good girl Christy... you will survive, I know you will :>)
Post a Comment