Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I'll Do It Tomorrow...

How many times have we said that? "I'll do it tomorrow". Whatever it is, we think there's always tomorrow to do whatever it is that we need to do. For the past several months, I've found myself putting off more and more things until "tomorrow", only to never do them, or make an attempt to do them too late. You would think that since I'm a housewife, now I would be doing all of those things I kept saying, "I wish I had the time to do today, oh well, I guess I'll do them tomorrow". While I was working, there were so many things I wanted to do, and many times, I actually made time to do- like visiting my friends, making phone calls to those I haven't spoken to in awhile, sending much needed e-mails, cleaning the house- well, you get the point.

Granted, since August of last year, my health hasn't exactly been the best it could be, but that's no excuse. I could've picked up the phone to call someone. I could've gotten in my car and gone to visit my friends. I could've made the effort to send an e-mail, after all, I could spend hours writing blog entries, but I didn't. After losing my job, and my health giving me problems, I became depressed. All of the things I really wanted to do, I didn't really want to do. I was completely torn and conflicted.

I kept saying, "Well, I'll feel better tomorrow, I'll do (fill in the blank with whatever I needed to do) tomorrow". Tomorrow would come and go, and it wouldn't be done. The thing that finally hit home for me was when Verna died. I kept putting off going to see her. I had been so sick, but I knew Verna didn't have much time. I could've gotten in the car and made the drive to Bristol, but I didn't. The day I finally felt like a human, and really got my ass motivated to go see Verna, she had died- the day before. I got the call just as I was picking up the phone to call Geraldine. I was going to call her and tell her to let Verna know we were coming over tomorrow. There it is again- tomorrow. Well, this is one time, tomorrow was too late.

I know, there are times we can't help it. We can't do everything we want and/or need to do in a single day- after all, there are only 24 hours in a day, not everything in life can be done in those few hours. I guess what I'm saying is, do the things that are important to you. Spend time with those you love. Make the calls to those who are precious to you. Do the things you want AND need to do. So often we take for granted that we have tomorrow, when in reality, today is all we really have.

7 comments:

AWE said...

I did the same thing with my cousin, I waited to long to see her in the hospital.

On a different note, when did you guys get an Applebees in the big E town? I was over there last night doing my second job and saw it, I was like WTF? That is an insane intersection right there.

Anonymous said...

Yep Christy, I'm a major procrastinator too :(

Criminal Minds Fan said...

I think we are all guilty of doing this from time to time. I know I am and you are right when you say we need to make the time. That is something I am working on. :)

Lorrie said...

It's funny that you should write about this subject because not putting things off is one of my New Year's resolutions.

I have friends who call and I don't call back because "I'll do it tomorrow". I have elderly relatives who are not in good health, but I just can't seem to find time to go see them.

I'm trying to get better about this, but it is definitely an ongoing process.

Deb said...

Time is the most precious thing we have. I am known for putting things off until tomorrow. This was a very powerful post---and I really needed to read this.

Thank you! VERY insightful and encouraging.

ann said...

I'm dreadful; I leave everything to the last moment. Christy your post has pulled me up, thank you.

lotsa luv ann xxxx

Ames said...

"Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow."

Until, of course, there are no tomorrows. Something I'm very familiar with as well.