I've uploaded some new songs. Some have stayed the same, but the one that speaks to me the most is "Why", by Annie Lennox. That song has so many memories attached to it. Back in 1999, I would sit at the IMac at my Aunt Judy's house, and listen to the Arista Records The First 20 Years CD. This song, along with "Coming Around Again", by Carly Simon was on it. I would listen to that cd nightly while I chatted in the Cafe Chat (a chat site which is but a memory now). I met a lot of people there. Neil, Brian, Fiona, and many others. I still stay in contact with Fiona, and Brian on occasion. I was in a relationship with Neil, that was definitely no good. Ah, the memories.
Music tells a story. Through music I've loved, cried, laughed, and smiled. Take for instance, another song I have on my playlist-- "It Ends Tonight", by The All American Rejects. "Your subtleties, they strangle me. I can't explain myself at all..." How powerful are those lyrics? That song is cleansing to me. Every time I hear it, I think of Phil, and the fact that it's over. It ended. Whatever the hell it was, it's over.
Say It Right. "You don't mean nothin' to me." Powerful words. You don't mean nothin' to me. I sing that, and think of Phil, casually. Pretending he meant nothing to me. Pretending that every word of that song is true. However, the song "I'll Be There," by Joan Osborne (my FAVORITE artist) holds far more truth for me than "Say It Right" ever will, I fear.
"In Your Eyes," by Peter Gabriel. A song that played on what was supposed to be the happiest day of my life. I walked down the aisle to meet my now husband, Chris. I had an absolutely beautiful wedding. It was lavish, and luxurious, but not what I wanted. I always want more. I wasn't as beautiful as I wanted to be. I was SO fat-- and I DO mean fat. Although, looking back, my wedding wasn't everything I wanted it to be, I have fond memories of that day. Every time, I hear this song, I think of how much I love my husband, and how thankful I am, that we've made it through all we have.
"Where Are You Now?", "Kiss From A Rose", "Total Eclipse Of The Heart," and "Waterfalls"-- the theme of the year 1995. Josh, and Billy-- the loves of our (mine and Jen's) lives. We cruised Greenwood Drive, and all of Johnson City in search of them in my 1986 Subaru GL. It was a complete dinosaur, but we made it look good. Hell, we made anything look good. We were 16, what DOESN'T look good at 16? Those were the days, for sure.
"Dancing In The Moonlight" by Toploader. This song played every single day at Proffitts' in Bristol. This is one of my favorite "feel good" songs. When I hear it, I think of standing at the accessories counter with Mary, looking through the huge glass doors at the beautiful sunlight of summer, or standing at my Elizabeth Arden counter with the girls, talking and laughing. Proffitts' was, by far, my favorite job, and everytime I hear this song, I'm taken back instantly to a wonderful time in my life.
We've all had our ups and downs in life. We've all had things that were elating, and devistating happen to us, and in many of these circumstances, music has played a great part in helping us through whatever it may be. Take a moment, today, to listen to your favorite song, or turn on the radio and listen to something random. Music is far more than just a song. What are some songs that have special meaning for you?
Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




13 comments:
kiss from a rose is a beautful song.,
songs bring back so many feelings..thats what I love about them..they are only feelings i get..
someone might get feelings from a song, but it isnt the same feeling U get..its awsome..
we all have memeoried and feeling about songs and music in genral..
thats what makes music so great..
rock on girl..
i know, none of this makes any dang sence..dont worry..ur not crazy, I am.
It is so strange how a song can bring a memory to life and a time that seems so far back. For me I will hear a 90's boyband and middle school and high school seem like they are still happening.
((((Christy)))
Thanks my friend, for everything.
Rose
xo
I will definitely be plugging in my iPod in the car today and reliving a lot of memories. I do that every day...it's nice to know I'm not alone! I love that feeling I get from music!
I couldn't even begin to compile a list. Too many songs. Thanks for the post. I really resonated with me.
-N
All week I have been thinking about a post on Best Love Songs~ and why my blog buddies feel that way.
Girl, I keep telling you we have a bunch in coomn the birthday just PROVES I was right!!!
"In Your Eyes" is my most favorite song EVER. (It's in my music list on the side of my blog right now). And if you've never heard live long version, you have GOT to listen to it. I put the You Tube of it on my blog but you can check it out here if you want. It's awesome.
The Peanut King and I had an "our dance" song at our wedding (which we ended up never dancing to because we were SO busy!) It's "Everything I Do, I Do For You" by Bryan Adams (from the Robin Hood soundtrack). It's such a sappy song...but I love it! :)
Music also speaks to my heart. You can usually tell where what my feelings are doing by the type of music I've been listening to...
Walking On Sunshine has a special meaning to me. I was coming home from work in 1986 and that song came on the radio. It was a gorgeous July 1st day. When I got home a few minutes later, I found out that my nephew had been killed in a motorcycle accident. He was 20. I was only a year older than him.He was one of my best friends
I feel that for some reason, that song was him ,speaking to me..
**hugs**
I can't think of any "all time songs" but I can't let go by Anthony Hamilton makes me think of my relationship with Ex. Not necesssary a good thing to think about but hey.
i'll have to download some of those songs
You know what’s funny? Everytime I visit your sites – I hear a song that I’m like, “Whoa, I remember this!” Music brings back memories – good or sad.
Remember the song, “If You Leave Me Now”, by Chicago? It reminds me of home – when my mother who was a ‘stay at home mom’ would clean and listen to the radio and she’d take me out shopping with her. It reminds me of rainy days for some reason. (Not sure why.)
“Logical” by Super Tramp reminds me of our backyard, when my sisters and I would take the radio, lay a blanket out on the lawn under a tree and hang out. It was just one of those songs at that time that remind me of that. The words may apply to me today – who knows! (ha)
All of Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” album reminds me of my best friend who passed away when we were 19… We would hang out, drink some beers and listen to this ‘tape’ over and over again. Whenever I hear it, it reminds me of him!
So, no post in several days...Awwww. You're missed.
Music is the universal language , it speaks to people in the ways simple words cannot.
I need you musical choices on my blog....drop by when you get a chance.
Post a Comment