Friday, January 06, 2006

Things Everyone Above The Mason Dixon Line Should Know...

Before heading South.

Learning Our Language:

1. "Borry"- Which means to Borrow something. IE: "Let me borry your lighter."

2. "Unthaw"- Which means to take something out of the freezer to thaw out. IE: "You'd better unthaw that chicken if you're gonna cook it tonight for dinner."

3. "Ace"(a-ce) - *How we pronounce "Ass" IE: "I'm gonna bust your ace".

4. "Pole Cat"- AKA: Skunk. IE: "Don't go out in the woods and get sprayed by that pole cat".

5. "Chitlin's"- A fried southern food, OR in reference to a child. IE: "Pass the chitlin's" or "Tell them chitlin's to get in the house for dinner."

6. "Baloney"- Bologna. IE: "I want a baloney sandwich for lunch".

7. Party Barn or Brew-Thru- A convience store where you can drive through and get your beer. IE: "Go to the party barn and get the beer before you come over to my house".

8. Coke- Any carbonated beverage. It doesn't matter what kind you have avalible, you always ask for a coke. IE: "Bring me a coke".

9. Manners. Everyone should have them. We expect "Yes, Ma'am, No, Ma'am, Please, and Thank You". If you don't use them, we'll kick your ass.

10. If you see a funeral procession on the road, you stop your car and pay respects along with everyone else. If you don't stop, we'll chase you down and kick your ass.

11. Respect our "Mamaw's and Papaw's"- if you don't, they'll knock some manners into your ass just like they did with us.

12. You can say anything you want about ANYONE as long as you say "God Love Them" or "Bless Their Heart". These are all purpose words that can be used from everything from sympathy or expression of affection to talking about someone you can't stand. IE : "Did you see Mrs. Jones' hair today? God love her, she thinks it looks good". OR "Bless your heart, I'm so sorry you've been so sick." A truly multi-functional phrase.

13. Not all people live in "Hollars" AKA: Hollow's, but we all know what they are, and if you're not from around there, don't be caught there after dark. It might not be pretty.

14. This is the "Bible Belt". You will see more Baptist Churches in one block than you'll see in the entire state of California.

15. Elvis. Need I say more?

16. Yes, we know it's humid.

17. "Lightning Bugs"- Known as "Fireflies" to some. We have tons of them, and catching them is a favorite summer past-time.

18. There is only one kind of tea- Iced Tea. It has sugar in it. Unless you are diabetic, we look at people funny who don't want sugar in their tea.

19. EVERYONE has a nickname.

20. There is no better time spent than "porch sittin'" with the family.


Those are just a few things you might want to know before you visit the South. Take these tips, use them wisely, and your trip South will be a pleasant one. Best of luck *LMAO*

7 comments:

Criminal Minds Fan said...

Kristy: As a northern who has been living in the south for a decade now I laughed my head off at this list. It is so funny and pretty true. You are so funny! I love comeing to your blog. :)

Deb said...

I gotta print this out in case I head down south. This is hysterical. So if you ask for a "Coke"---you get ANY carbonated soda? That's interesting.

Anonymous said...

Oh this is priceless! I know them all well! Too well! pole cats and hollars! I especially like 10 and 14. lol

Lorrie said...

These are dead on. Especially the saying "God love 'em"... we say that all of the time!!!

ann said...

we have the north/south divide in this country too ... don't understand what they're on about at all.

A brilliant blog ~ thanks Christy.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

Ames said...

Heh heh heh... Cute!

:-)

Rommel said...

Southerners-what a handfull! I was laughing at this for a long time, and I realized that we westerners are just as problematic. But that being said, I will follow a woman wearing #5 with a southern accent anywhere. It is deadly-especially when it is attached to pretty eyes like yours. :)

I will keep these in mind,and don't be suprised if you see this morphed into a western thing soon!